PLAY

jay farrer and benjamin gibbard

Audio Player

Saturday, June 28, 2014

App Rap

I have to admit that when I was at Winthrop I would routinely ridicule the students about their obsessive behavior with their cell phones. At the time I didn't know they had "smart phones". I just figured they were texting each other, or playing some weird online game. My typical comments might include, "how many channels do you get on that thing?" or "you know, the radiation from that phone can destroy your brain cells". I of course still had my clunky flip phone, phone calls only, none of that weird texting which wasn't meant for human fingers.

Fast forward to September 2013, Starkville, when we decide to look into a new phone provider. At the CSpire store, the magic word was "free" as in free iPhone 4S, along with a pretty decent plan. My fate was sealed........

Welcome to the wonderful world of apps, Dave. Shall I list a few? sure.......
Weather Underground (radar!), Statewide FCU, AlertFM, Pandora, iHeartRadio, DropBox, Mozilla FoxBrowser, Blogger, FlyDelta, and many more. The best app that I know of and have used extensively on this trip is Pocket Earth. The app made getting around in Paris a breeze. Need to see a subway line and where it is going? Click on a station near you and you get all the lines running thru that station. 

 
















Need a walking route and distance? Save 2 locations and map the route. Really cool. Download it and you can map your routes thru like St. Augustine, or Batavia, in case you get lost!




No comments:

Post a Comment